What is MULE?
- MULE is a ridiculously fun and addictive strategy game that combines real-time and turn-based styles as you battle for land and resources on a newly colonized planet. The game is easy to grasp but provides great depth of gameplay.
- What’s MULE about?
- In the game, four players attempt to colonize a distant planet. They do this by using MULEs (Multiple Use Labor Element) to harvest food, collect energy, and mine minerals. You have to do two things to win: make your colony successful, and amass the greatest wealth. All for One, and One for all, and one for yourself.
What’s the big deal?
- MULE has been hailed as one of the most influential games of all time and the foundation for many game genres today. It was groundbreaking when released in 1983 and one of the first games published by Electronic Arts. As noted in Wikipedia: “Many game designers cite the game as one of the most revolutionary ever and an inspiration for many of their games. Will Wright dedicated his game The Sims to the memory of Bunten [who designed the game]”.
- PCWorld notes MULE as #5 on their list of the top 10 greatest PC games ever. A list that includes StarCraft, The Sims, Civilization, and World of Warcraft.
Who created MULE?
- The game was designed by Dan Bunten (later Danielle Bunten) who was a game design visionary. Bunten was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award by the Computer Game Developers Association and inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences Hall of Fame in 2007.
Tell me more!
- Others have written it better than we could, check these out: